Number of FIIs in India crosses 1000
Source Business Standard (India):
- The number of foreign institutional investors (FIIs) registered with the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) crossed the 1,000 mark.
- The total number of FIIs having their offices in India has now increased to 1,030. In the beginning of calendar year 2006, the figure was 813.
- As many as 217 new FIIs opened their offices in India during the current calendar year. This is the highest number of registrations by FIIs in a year till date. The previous highest was 209 in 2005.
- The net investments made by the institutions during 2006 was $9,185.90 million against $9,521.80 million in 2005.
- In 1993, Pictet Umbrella Trust Emerging Markets’ Fund, an institutional investor from Switzerland, was the only FII to enter the Indian market.
- While in 1994, no new registrations were reported,
- Between 1995 and 2003, an average of 51 new FIIs opened their shops in the country each year.
- The break up of FIIs in India is as follows:
- US – 368
- UK – 167
- Luxembourg – 73
- Singapore – 51
- Australia – 35
- Hong Kong – 35
- Canada – 32
- Ireland – 29
- Netherlands – 27
- Mauritius – 25
- Switzerland – 22
- France – 20
With the Indian economy looking strong in the coming years, I am sure the numbers will increase to look better.